Who We Are
The Making Democracy Work (MDW) committee focuses on voting and elections. In 2019, a non-election year, we are looking at reforms of the election process that will make the process more fair and equitable for all voters. We are studying and advocating for redistricting reform in Maryland, ranked choice voting for Montgomery County offices, open primaries in Maryland, etc,
What We Do
- Educate and Engage Voters - Register voters; prepare publications to explain the voting process; produce and distribute the Voters’ Guide to inform voters of candidates’ positions on issues in their own words; meet with community groups; conduct or help with candidate forums.
- Protect Voting Rights - Learn about the election process; monitor election related activities at the local, state and national level; advocate for efforts to improve the election process such as redistricting reform.
- Keep Ourselves and Others Informed - Election process, redistricting reform, ranked choice voting, open primaries, money in politics, etc.
- We meet monthly on an ad hoc schedule at the League Office at 7:00pm. See our Google calendar.
Contact: Mary Lanigan
What You Can Do
- Register voters – complete voter registrar training at Montgomery County Board of Elections; email email@example.com to learn of registration opportunities.
- Join others to advocate for a voting related issue the League is actively working on such as redistricting reform, ranked choice voting, etc.
- Attend Making Democracy Work committee meetings
What We’re Keeping an Eye On
- Redistricting Reform in Maryland
- Ranked Choice Voting for Maryland
- Our Legislative Priorities - Maryland League website.
- Election related legislation in the 2019 Maryland General Assembly. Sign up to receive Report from State Circle for bi-weekly updates during the legislative session.