Melissa Urofsky, Chair - [email protected]
Who We Are
The Making Democracy Work (MDW) committee focuses on voting and elections. In non-election years, we study and monitor voting issues and plan for the next election. We will prepare the 2022 Voters’ Guide in both English and Spanish for the June 28, 2022 Primary Election and November 8, 2022 General Election and seek sources of grant funding. The 2022 Voters’ Guides require significant work as all county offices as well as Governor and General Assembly members will be included.
We study reforms of the election process that are designed to make the process fairer and more equitable for all voters, including vote by mail. We advocate for redistricting reform in Maryland, ranked choice voting for Montgomery County offices, and open primaries in Maryland.
We will focus our efforts on activities that promote racial equity, social justice, and inclusion of marginalized communities.
What We Do
- Educate and Engage Voters - Register voters; prepare publications to explain the voting process; produce and distribute the Voters’ Guide to inform voters of candidates’ positions on issues in their own words; collaborate with community groups; conduct or assist with candidate forums.
- Protect Voting Rights - Learn about the election process; monitor election related activities at local, state and national levels; advocate for improvements to the election process such as redistricting reform.
- Keep Ourselves and Others Informed - Election process, redistricting reform, ranked choice voting, open primaries, money in politics, ballot questions, vote by mail, etc.
- Promote engagement in the civic and political process and advocate for legislative changes.
- We meet monthly on Tuesday evenings at 7:00pm on an ad hoc schedule. See our Google calendar.
What We’re Keeping An Eye On
- Redistricting Reform in Maryland
- Ranked Choice Voting for Maryland
- Vote by Mail (Fact Sheet)
- Our Legislative Priorities - Maryland League website.
- Our Common Purpose, Reinventing Democracy for the 21st Century American Academy of Arts and Sciences report 2020
- Racial Equity and Social Justice Policy, Montgomery County Government