League of Women Voters of Montgomery County, MD
We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge and the confidence to participate. We believe in the power of women to create a more perfect democracy.
League members act:
Rally on steps of SCOTUS
Joined by Gov. Larry Hogan and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, League members from North Carolina and the National Capital Area held a March 26 rally on the Supreme Court steps while inside the Justices deliberated the limits on partisan gerrymandering for cases in Maryland and North Carolina. A June decision is anticipated. LWV will continue to educate voters about gerrymandering’s threat to democracy and follow Schwarzenegger's advice: "terminate gerrymandering."
MoCo Council deliberates
LWVMC Testifies to Council
- Voting: Supports extra expenditures requested by Board of Elections
- Education: Supports expansion of full-day slots in the Pre-K and HeadStart
- Housing: Supports increased supply of affordable housing
- Environment: Supports modest increases in budget for solid waste services and environmental services
LWVMC studies economic development
- County trends/status in regard to demographics, employment, housing, transportation, agriculture, and projected development.
- Economic development activity in the County
- County’s four economic goals: business vitality, talent, creative economics, placemaking
- “Empower Montgomery”s criticism of the County’s economic management
Join the discussion and vote a member consensus.
for fair elections
Ending gerrymandering in Maryland
Maryland’s congressional districts are currently among the most pathetically gerrymandered districts in the country (click map to enlarge), due to the redistricting process, which, in 2011, took place behind closed doors and was designed to promote unfair partisan and incumbent advantages.
The League of Women Voters is fighting gerrymandering and has won victories in California, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
- Learn about our campaign for redistricting reform in Maryland.
- Sign the support pledge and receive updates and email alerts.
- Want to get involved? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this form.