League of Women Voters of Montgomery County, MD
The LWV encourages informed and active participation in government to increase understanding of major public policy issues and to influence public policy through education and advocacy.
ACTION ALERT: The Maryland Citizen Redistricting Commission wants to hear (virtually) how redistricting in Montgomery County will affect you this Wednesday July 21 at 6pm. The Commission is charged with not only drawing Congressional districts, but also with the state senator and delegate maps.
We ask, if you are a Montgomery County resident, that you sign up through their press release link. Support "People Powered Fair Maps" and follow the Maryland Citizens Redistricting Commission. More Info
ACTION ALERT: Support the “For the People Act" (H.R. 1/S. 1)
This week, the Senate will vote on the #ForthePeopleAct. Now is the time -- let your senators know that they must pass this bill. The #ForThePeopleAct will:
✔️ Eliminate partisan gerrymandering
✔️ Reduce big money in politics
✔️ End dark money donations to campaigns
✔️ Protect our freedom to vote
Gerrymandering has silenced Black, brown, and marginalized communities for decades, but through the #ForthePeopleAct we can end that unjust practice for good. Let our Senators know that they must vote YES on #S1!
Voting in MoCo
BECOME A VOTER REGISTRATION VOLUNTEER
Projections are that in-person voter registrations will resume in the fall. Contact [email protected] to be an LWVMC volunteer registrant.
- General voter registration info for MD
- Next elections
- Candidate filing deadlines are February 22, 2022
- Offices on the ballot
DID YOU KNOW? As determined by a manual audit of 21 of 24 MD jurisdictions, the 2020 MD statewide vote discrepancy was 0.00013%.
Some GOOD NEWS for 2021
Montgomery County begins 2021 with two ambitious plans for creating a better county—plans that we as League members are studying and will observe in their implementation.
2021 will also see the completion of the MoCo 50 year general plan: Thrive Montgomery 2050.
- See the draft Climate Action Plan just released for public review. The plan moves the County to cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 100% by 2035 and has a significant impact on residents’ daily life in the process.
- The Racial Equity & Social Justice Act creates a racial equity lens for evaluating how county bills and department actions are intentionally designed to guarantee equity and justice for all. The League’s Observer Corps and resource committees will follow the implementation of the RESJ Act.
Get involved: 2021-22
NEW STUDIES CONVENING: JOIN NOW
LWVMC 2021 Annual Meeting attendees voted to support new studies. Committees are forming; join now! Email [email protected].
• Get Out the Vote—what works and what doesn’t to increase voter turnout
• Plastics—what’s the status of plastic recycling in MoCo
• Police Services—the many dimensions of law enforcement in MoCo
• Protecting agriculture in the MoCo Agricultural Reserve
• Workforce development in MoCo-employment needs and training
• Aging in MoCo-what issues impact all stages of aging and are local services adequate
• Local Revenue-what are MoCo’s existing and potential revenue sources
News from LWVUS
PRIORITY ACTION ISSUES IN 2021-2022
- Push Congress to pass For the People Act (H.R.1; S.1) and John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act
- Promote the League’s national redistricting program: People Powered Fair Maps
- Encourage millions of women to get involved in all kinds of civic activities
- Expand the nearly 800 state and local Leagues
- Fight Voter Suppression
KUDOS FOR 2020 ACTIONS