League of Women Voters of Montgomery County, MD
We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge and the confidence to participate. We believe in the power of women to create a more perfect democracy.
Behind the 2018
midterm election turnout
U.S. Census Bureau
- Voter turnout was up among all voting age and major racial and ethnic groups
- Fifty-three percent of voting-age population voted in 2018, highest midterm turnout in four decades. More info.
League of Women Voters
- Registered 250,000+ people
- Educated over 10M voters; Vote411.org
- Protected over 1.9 million voters
- Hosted and supported 15,000 events
MoCo Council deliberates
LWVMC testimony on key issues:
- Voting: Supports extra elections expenditures
- Education: Supports expanded Pre-K and HeadStart
- Housing: Supports expanding affordable housing
- Environment: Supports increased waste and environmental services budgets
MD General Assembly ends
During 2019 session, LDVMD volunteers testified on over 100 bills. Some of the wins:
- Election day voter registration
- Clean Energy Jobs Act
- Expanded prohibition of polystyrene food service products
- The Blueprint for Maryland’s Future (Kirwan)
- “Fight for Fifteen” minimum wage
- Task force to study transportation access
for fair elections
Ending gerrymandering in Maryland
Maryland’s congressional districts are currently among the most pathetically gerrymandered districts in the country (click map to enlarge), due to the redistricting process, which, in 2011, took place behind closed doors and was designed to promote unfair partisan and incumbent advantages.
The League of Women Voters is fighting gerrymandering and has won victories in California, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
- Learn about our campaign for redistricting reform in Maryland.
- Sign the support pledge and receive updates and email alerts.
- Want to get involved? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this form.