2021 MD General Assembly
Convenes January 13
LWV 2021 legislative priorities
Gov’t Transparency; Progressive & Adequate Fiscal Policy; Education & the Blueprint for MD; Police Accountability & Reform; Affordable Housing; Public Transportation; Clean Energy
Ways to stay informed
- LWVMD’s Action Blog links users to League legislative priorities and provides updates and Action Alerts on them. To receive up-to-date info in your email, go to Action Sign–Up.
- See also the MD General Assembly’s online platform that allows the public to track a bill’s progress and to watch floor or committee sessions in real time.
Get Involved in 2021
Join an LWVMC committee. Learn, advocate, and act.
- Aging in MoCo
- County Revenue Study
- Land Use and Transportation
- Making Democracy Work
- Civic Education Action
- International Relations
- Economic Development
Or join the Observer Corps.
Mark your calendar
DISCUSSION GROUPS: Program Planning meetings take the place of Discussion Groups in January. Go here for details. To prepare for the next calendar year, please review the Fact Sheet, Program Planning 2021-2022. Consider proposing a new study or joining a committee.
TRENDING TOPICS: Mark your calendar for January 18 when Maryland Treasurer Nancy Kopp and MoCo Councilman Andrew Friedson will talk about 2022 state and local budgets and how COVID-19 will impact revenues and expenses.
GREAT DECISIONS returns February 2021. Join another year of in-depth analysis of foreign events via Zoom. Contact Nancy Bliss at email@example.com for information and Great Decisions book.
LWVMD WINTER WORKSOP
is January 30, 2021
WOMEN'S LEGISLATIVE BRIEFING
is January 31, 2021
Some GOOD NEWS for 2021
Montgomery County begins the year with two ambitious plans for creating a better county—plans that we as League members are studying and will observe in their implementation.
- See the draft Climate Action Plan just released for public review. The plan moves the County to cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 100% by 2035 and has a significant impact on residents’ daily life in the process.
LWVMC will host county climate coordinator, Adrianna Hochberg, in a review of the plan on February 22, 2021. Save the date and watch for details.
- The Racial Equity & Social Justice Act creates a racial equity lens for evaluating how county bills and department actions are intentionally designed to guarantee justice for all. League committees will watch the implementation.