Who We Are
The Making Democracy Work (MDW) committee focuses on voting and elections. Our immediate goal is to energize citizens to vote in the June 2018 primary election and November 2018 general election by registering voters, informing voters via the Voters’ Guide, and methodically increasing voter turnout.
What We Do
- Educate and Engage Voters - Register voters; prepare publications to explain the voting process; produce and distribute the Voters’ Guide to inform voters of candidates’ positions on issues in their own words; meet with community groups; conduct or help with candidate forums.
- Protect Voting Rights - Learn about the election process; monitor election related activities at the local, state and national level; advocate for efforts to improve the election process such as redistricting reform.
- Keep Ourselves and Others Informed - Election process, electoral college, money in politics, redistricting reform in Maryland, and civics education.
We meet monthly on an ad hoc schedule at the League Office at 7:00pm. See our Google calendar.
Contact: Mary Lanigan
What You Can Do
- Register voters – complete voter registrar training at Montgomery County Board of Elections; email email@example.com to learn of registration opportunities.
- Polling Place Support Program – Visit polling places on Election Day as a Montgomery County Board of Elections’ representative; must attend training.
- Candidate Forums – Help to organize and conduct candidate forums.
- Voters’ Guide Production and Distribution – Help produce and distribute Voters’ Guides.
- Attend Making Democracy Work committee meetings
What We’re Keeping an Eye On
- How Does The Board of Elections Keep the Voter Rolls Up To Date? April 24, 2017 Presentation by the Montgomery County Board of Elections on List Maintenance 101 that explains the applicable laws and process used to keep the voter rolls in Montgomery County up to date.
- Redistricting Reform in Maryland
- 2018 Early Voting Centers in Montgomery County under Review – Montgomery County Board of Elections
- Statement by Montgomery County Board of Elections in Response to April 11, 2017 Judicial Watch letter regarding voter registration records.